United Way of Southern Chautauqua County
POSITION TITLE: Director of Advancement
LOCATION: Jamestown, NY
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
COMPENSATION: Full time Position, non-exempt; Salary range $55,000-$63,000 depending on experience. Benefits include health, dental and vision insurance; generous retirement benefits; vacation and sick time; flexible schedule with part-time remote options available. Some travel required.
TO APPLY: Email cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
United Way of Southern Chautauqua County mobilizes the community to help people improve their lives. UWSCC has an annual campaign of $1.4 million, and currently invests in 29 community partners and 42 local programs working around collective outcomes in Academic Success, Self Sufficiency, Ready Workforce and Health & Independence.
The Director of Advancement oversees the development and management of comprehensive, integrated and innovative strategies, internally and externally. They will focus their efforts on donor engagement, strategic communication and the development of partnerships and products to increase the human and financial support to support the organization’s community impact objectives. This position is also responsible for working collaboratively with other departments to ensure the success of organizational initiatives, as well as ongoing innovation and growth. Oversees marketing and event-planning/coordination, as well as creatively seeks new opportunities and growth-potential partnerships to generate revenue and other resources to ensure long-term community change.
Mission-Focused: able to link donor, volunteer, and advocates’ aspirations to needs, strives to accomplish goals, separates own interests from organizational interests
Relationship-Oriented: understands what motivates individuals and organizations, values diversity and inclusion, effectively communicates, actively listens to and facilitates diverse input and contributions. Maintains confidentiality.
Collaborator: takes collaborative approach to addressing issues, mobilizes a broad range of resources. Must be a team-player.
Results-Driven: focuses on results and can effectively communicate goals and impact, promotes innovation and is willing to take risks, holds oneself accountable and is self-directed
Brand-Steward: acts with integrity and strong ethics to foster trust at all levels (personal, market, society), internalizes the meaning and commitment of United Way and consistently acts according to its values and purpose, is accountable and transparent with all stakeholders
Essential Function 1 - Development and Donor Engagement: Cultivate relationships, develop strategic partnerships and create innovative products to increase community engagement on all levels.
• Identifies potential donors and strategically cultivates relationships.
o Gathers and uses data that supports requests for donations and other types of support.
o Builds relationships across different demographic groups.
o Connects areas of interest directly to United Way’s work.
• Recognizes the power of stewardship – thanking donors, informing them about the impact of their gifts, keeping them apprised of progress on the community priorities.
• Works with companies and other entities to organize campaigns and campaign presentations in their workplaces. Represent United Way in campaign presentations.
• Provides coordination and administration of affinity groups, including Emerging leaders and Young Professionals.
• Develops sponsorship opportunities to increase revenue
• Identifies strategies and opportunities to best engage volunteers.
• Demonstrates the ability to proactively identify and qualify individuals, groups and workplaces to give to and support United Way.
Essential Function 2 - Strategic Communication: Ensure that brand identity, messaging, marketing and communication strategy are infused in all organizational efforts.
• Oversees planning, development and execution of Marketing, PR and strategic communication.
• Assesses donors’ needs and interests and packages United Way’s work into products that effectively generate resources.
• Works collaboratively with communications and campaign staff in the following ways:
o Develops creative content messages and materials to support annual campaign and communication of community impact, including social media strategy and all written communication.
o Coordinates with graphic design and video production vendors when needed.
o Delivers presentations to a variety of audiences in various settings.
Essential Function 3 - Execution: Internally steward existing Strategic Initiatives, Partnerships and Processes.
• Supports existing initiatives, such as the Capacity Lab, IDEA Coalition and ALICE Experience.
• Works effectively with other functions, staff members and key volunteers to provide appropriate support.
• Oversees major events coordination and planning
• Supports organization’s grantwriting efforts.
• County-wide Coalition participation where strategic community engagement and leadership is needed.
• Creates a positive image – is enthusiastic, positive, charismatic, and can generate trust of donors. Represents United Way at professional and community events in a leadership role.
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred (business, communications, marketing, public relations or related field); or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
• Minimum 3 years of experience in fundraising, sales or marketing preferred. United Way campaigning or campaigning knowledge in general required
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively relate to a diverse audience
• Proven planning skills and the ability to successfully implement a project
• Superb organizational and time management abilities. Must be able to prioritize and manage numerous projects from inception to completion.
• High energy team player; able to work effectively cross functionally
• Proven leadership skills, including motivation and leadership of volunteers and staff
• Proficiency in general computer skills, technology and familiarity with a variety of platforms and tools
United Way of Southern Chautauqua County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We will not discriminate against any employee or applicant based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics., or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.